Once we were without food (more than once) There was food around in grocery stores kitchens restaurants dumpsters there was food around but we had none and we looked upon the bounty which was not ours and saw holy in it
We used to sleep outside on concrete and pavement in the dirt and grass There were beds around in mattress stores in bedrooms in jails but we had no beds Now we sleep in beds every night and each night it seems almost too comfortable
We used to be free and full of horror scraping busted roads with extended thumbs taking on midnight with whatever chemicals Dionysus endowed and whenever dreams came they were half-rotted and not without scream
Nowadays our bellies are full and you spend your time getting other people beds and food while I spend all my time wringing out the poisons inflicted by necrotic dreams
Everything is better now they say and I guess we should believe them what do we know?
1. “NORM!” is what the audience yelled when they knew they were in the presence of Norm. Imagine now thousands maybe tens of thousands (hundreds?) yelling “Norm” in their living rooms. The 1980s were built for yelling “Norm” There’s no iteration in the multiverse wherein people didn’t yell “Norm” at the TV in the 80s.
2. Recliners cracked to full easement. The rabbit ears soak in all the laughs from thousands of miles away where a bar nestled between Narnia and Never Never Land showed us the misadventures of wacky characters.
3. A lamp sits on a floor in a room half-painted the lamp bare-bulbed. There is no other furniture and a pizza is on the ground. The smell of fresh paint fumes… and Sam Malone has gone to a convent to convince Diane Chambers to leave. It’s a weird episode and it feels like theatre and the pizza is eaten and nobody laughs much but somehow that doesn’t really seem the point not here
3. The gnashing of snow boots and the dismantling of flannel The storm seems hell/bent. There’s a fire and this is probably Truckee, CA and there are cans of shitty vegetables heating and the fire isn’t hot enough but everybody puts aways their snarling to yell “NORM!”
4. There’s the episode when Frasier is a whiny little asshole because Diane broke his little heart Nobody ever feels sorry for Frasier because he’s rich like Diane but unlike Diane he never attempts to empathize with the proles. It is the eternal American struggle between SNOBS and SLOBS
5. There is a humidifier and a mattress is on the ground and it is bedtime for children but nobody is sleeping Grown ups are boring but they get to stay up forever and they have the TV The theme song powers through the house and deep in the human heart everybody wants to go where everybody knows our names and they’re always glad we came So the kids break into the hallway to hear the song and maybe here some “jokes” and get to hear people yell “Norm” and that was better than dreaming
People are eating trash right now. You should eat trash. It makes you stronger makes you bear hardship with aplomb makes your hands and heart grow rhinoceros hide. Eating trash makes you a brilliant kind of monster.
At my work there’s a lock on the dumpster. The combination is 8800 in case you want to eat Italian food trash.
My bosses lock up the trash because they don’t want you to be strong– because if you’re strong you’ll take back the world.
They like owning the world. They like telling people what to do. They want you to conform to their temporal framework and eat food before it passes into the designation of trash.
Their yuppie constitutions are too soft from years of eating gourmet food before it’s trash. They can’t handle it. They can’t get strong. They can only lock the dumpster which has the combination 8800.
Discover Credit Cards interrupted my music to let me know that they really care about my personal information and the safety thereof which is good to know because after 3 decades using computers basically the whole of my personality can be represented by a conglomeration of binary code
And it’s good to know that when large companies are jockeying for my binary personality Discover Credit Cards are looking out for my interests for once
The other day my friend called me because her landlord was trying to evict her illegally and she was they were going to kill her cats (which does happen Rich people don’t know about this It happens) I told her she should call Discover Credit Cards because they have everybody’s best interests at heart and that they could sort this out in no time